Thursday, May 2, 2019

Practicing the Art of Decluttering and Painting Wallpaper

Happy May! The month of May always brings blossoms to a hardy rose bush in my yard. My mother grew rows of them. They are the kind of roses that you can break off a stem and stick it in the ground and it'll root. I don't know of anything that kills it either. You just have to dig it up. I enjoy the blooms this time of year and they have such a sweet scent. 

I haven't posted much at all online because for the past month I've been busy with my house. I painted the wallpaper in the den. I wasn't sure this would work and now I wish I had tried it much sooner than I did. The wallpaper had been up there for years and I knew it would be impossible to take it down since there was another layer beneath it. But the den carpet needed to be replaced and I had to decide what to do with the walls. I watched some YouTube videos and decide to try to paint the wallpaper.
I wiped down the walls with some mild cleanser and a soft kitchen dishtowel. 
Then I used Kilz Premium primer. The paper was a dark stripe so I put on several coats. I used 2 gallons. Then for paint, I used Sherwin-Williams Superpaint in White Organdy. It did a great job with coverage. I'm very happy with the outcome. 
Having new flooring put down is almost like moving since you have to move everything out of a room. I figured I might as well get rid of a lot of the stuff I've accumulated over the years. I've been reading the Japanese Art of Decluttering and I've reached a point in my life where it is time to let go of sentimental things from years past that has no value to anyone other than me. I'm trying to apply this to my house and I really dread the writing room. I am going to start on moving stuff out of here this weekend. Pray for me. 😃

My son came home for a couple of days and we had a great visit. I was really happy that he installed a new hard drive on one of my computers and I think that will be the computer I'll use for writing. Of course, switching computers is like moving, too.

I will have more news on Darlene's Cookbook soon! Hopefully this weekend.


No comments: